As I write this, it’s 75 and sunny here in Honolulu. Seattle is coming in at 34 on my trusty iPhone weather ap—yes I keep tabs on what’s going on in Seattle. These last few days Seattle has been hammered by one heck of a storm. Snow, ice, wind and power outages sound like they’ve been pretty common as winter weather as made a strong appearance in the Northwest.
And the weird thing is, my mind. It keeps tricking me. Really? It’s snowing? I look outside. No. It’s sunny. “It’s gonna get worse.” Really? Oh no. That’s Seattle. I don’t live there any more. In the midst of winter, after the bustle of the holidays, it’s hard for me to picture anything besides what is right in front of me. Temperatures in the 70s and 80s. Isn’t that what everyone is getting? It feels like July (granted it would have to be the best July Seattle has ever seen, but you know what I mean) is it really January? The pictures from friends and family help, but it also makes it seem like Seattle and my loved ones are worlds away. Which has got me thinking.
I really do think the world revolves around me. Ok, not really. But it speaks to my sin nature. I think of myself first and then move on to everyone else. Since I’m somewhere sunny and warm, isn’t everyone? Strange how our minds and hearts tell us we are what is more important. Thankfully, God tells us otherwise. God brings us out of ourselves and helps us look to him and to others. He gets us out of our minds, which for those of you that know me well, is often much needed for me.
Hope you are all staying safe and warm in Seattle. When you need some sun, please, please, come my way!
No comments:
Post a Comment