10/21/11

Cockroaches are gross, but the beaches are beautiful.

In the 12 days I’ve been in Hawaii, I’ve seen at least six cockroaches and been to the beach once. I’m hoping that ration reverses itself soon, but I hear it’s cockroach season. We’ve been keeping quite busy with Erik working full time and us trying to get accustomed to life here. Next weekend we move into the apartment/condo we rented in the Hawaii Kai area of Honolulu, so we aren’t quite settled yet. I’m looking forward to organizing our home, putting away our stuff and decorating our new space. I’m hoping it doesn’t come with any bugs, but I guess if it does, that’s just part of living in Hawaii.

Living in Hawaii. That sentence seems surreal. Like many things have lately. I’m struggling to wrap my head around the fact we “live” here. A woman at church told me it took her over a year to stop feeling like she was on “vacation.” I don’t mind vacation, in fact I love it, and Hawaii has been one of my favorite places to visit, but living here feels different. I can’t help but think that everything is still waiting for us at “home” in our condo in Seattle. That we’ll leave soon and walk into our place in Magnolia to be greeted by the affectionate barks of Jude wanting to be let out of his kennel. But no, for now, we live here. God has called us here and while there are many places that I wouldn’t be as excited about living, for me, change is still change. And it’s hard. I’m keep going back to the truth that Jesus is good and He called us here. I just don’t know my place here yet and that will probably take time.

I also miss everyone in Seattle. I miss my family and my friends and Jude (who won’t get to join us until the end of the year). I got a wonderful photo book from my parents of photos from the last few weeks before we left. I loved looking at it but it brought a flood of tears that took quite a while to subside. I miss them. I miss my nephews. I’m fearful of just being the aunt who lives “really far away” and missing their lives. Of missing the day-to-day lives of people who are dear to me. Coffee with friends, running with Beth. Dinner dates with other couples. Long face-to-face talks. I’ve gotten to talk to several people on the phone and exchanged emails with others, but it’s just not the same.

The people here are wonderfully gracious. Everyone is helpful and welcoming and generous. People at the church genuinely seem excited we’re here. I was greeted at the airport by nearly a dozen people—some of whom I’d never even met, others who I’d only spoken to a handful of times. That is mind-blowing to me. In a good way.

My work has picked up this week, which is good but also challenging as Erik and my schedules don’t fully line up. We’re still working on figuring that (and everything else) out but trusting God will bless us with time together to explore our new Island home. I’m not sure when it will happen again but I’m looking forward to sitting in my new red beach chair, digging my toes in the sand and feeling the intense sun on my skin. Yep. I’m a sun girl for sure. For now, I’ll settle for running, driving and walking by the beaches and catching a glimpse of the water multiple times a day.


No comments: